Saturday, August 25, 2007

Summer Fun Part 3

Summer fun Maine style!

Way downeast style! In Roque Bluffs, ME. Where is that you ask? Here it is on the map. It is beautiful and in the middle of nowhere, but that is what makes it so relaxing. On our way up Coastal Route 1 we stopped at Wild Blueberry Land. It had always intrigued me...I mean it is a giant blueberry by the side of the road!! Well, it isn't really a giant blueberry. It is a geodesic dome painted blue complete with a fence of old round metal buoys painted blue like gigantic blueberries. Inside they carry everything Maine and blueberry related. Bet you didn't know about blueberry flavored dog biscuits. We picked up a wild blueberry pie on our way back to CT and they make a mean blueberry pie. Yummy!

We stay at my husband's family's camp when we are there and it is lovely. This year we have the added luxury of a hot shower and flush toilet. Hallelujah! I love flush toilets!

Time is spent doing whatever you want. I spent most of my time reading and knitting on the bluff. The view is gorgeous and you only see a few lobsta' boats all day long. It is so peaceful. Hera (our dog) has a great time taking in the smells and roaming free.

We also did some hiking on the "Bold Coast Trail" in Cutler, ME. It is a great hike along the craggy rock that defines the Maine coast. The views are spectacular and a bit scary. This is one place you do not want to get too close to the edge. It is a long way down.

I also enjoyed perusing the new yarn shop in Machias, ME the next town over. The Wooly Barn is a lovely little shop attached to one of the historic homes in the center of Machias. It is run by a young woman (about my age) and has only been open a few months. She has a good assortment of yarns and is increasing the amount of local yarns and products she sells. I bought some wooden needles made by local artisan, Al Mather , from East Machias, ME as well as some sock weight yarn from Done Roving in Charlotte, ME. I also got some downeast knitting goodies for my Snb's Holiday Gift Swap. Hmmm.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home